Address: Shop 3098A, 3/F, IFC, 1 Harbour View Street, Central.
Website (Chinese only): h-musubi.com
Japanese food! Don’t we all love sushi, cute lunch boxes and all things Japanese! Growing up, I was always fascinated by the intricate lunch boxes prepared by mothers for Japanese children. As such, O-nigiri, or triangular/ circular rice balls wrapped in nori seaweed, has always been close to my heart.
Bringing back childhood memories, I was very excited to find ‘Ten-musubi’ sitting beside Senryo in IFC. Set out to celebrate the quality and tastiness of Japanese rice, and first introduced to Hong Kong via Food Expo, the ‘Onigiri project’ was born in the form of ‘Ten-musubi’.
Ten-musubi celebrates their Japanese rice through Bento or lunch boxes and O-nigiris. Priced fairly, and made using quality ingredients, this brings a spot of Japanese lunch culture into Hong Kong. Bento boxes, often sold at train stations and malls, is the perfect meal catered to busy commuters or office folk.
Ten-musubi offers O-nigiri with 8 different fillings, from tuna, cod roe to beef and eel.
- Slightly dry and a bit underwhelming compared to the other selections.
- Could do with a bit of dressing, though filling to rice ratio was very good.
Spicy Cod Roe:
- One of my all-time favorite Japanese flavors Spicy Cod Roe!
- Generous filling, with cod roe pouring out at every bite, NOM!
- Nice and spicy, and still has great creamy texture and cod roe flavor.
Cod Roe Salad:
- A mix of mayonnaise dressing and spicy cod roe, this is good for those who like spicy cod roe but can’t handle the spiciness.
- Creamy, though cod roe was less than that of the spicy version, is a good fusion option. May appeal more to Westerners.
- Japanese Beef bowl or Gyudon in O-nigiri form.
- Tender beef with just enough teriyaki sauce, this a great option for those who love beef rice bowls. And because the size is so much smaller you can try that many more flavors!
Grilled eel/ Unagi:
- My all time favorite Unagi with great quality sticky rice. Again well seasoned and not too salty, the rice to filling ratio is also very good. Very satisfying indeed!
Simply nom! Just as good as what you can get in Japan with quality and fresh ingredients. Ten-musubi although does not have a great array of O-nigiri to choose from, it focuses on a traditional selection. I can safely say that the cod roe, eel and BBQ beef are my ultimate favorites, though all of the triangular taste great!
So detour to the right from Sen-ryo and try some traditional O-nigiri for lunch instead!