Address: Shop 6, 1/F, Causeway Centre, 28 Harbour Road, Wan Chai
Part of the Concepts Creations group and with 4 locations around the bustling areas of Hong Kong, Frites is (to my knowledge) the only Belgian Beer Hall in Hong Kong.
Like Belgo’s of London, Frites has a similar vibe and just as many beer and menu choices. Its interior is a classic Pub setting, with wooden benches and a sort of “Snooker table” color scheme. As one of the longest standing restaurants for mussels and beer, this is definitely my top choice for both in Hong Kong.
Its hard to decide when you are handed an encyclopedia of beers that includes bottled, draft and fruit beers. So here are a few of my recommendations.
La Corne du Bois des Pendus La Triple 10º (Left)
- Not only looks great, this Belgian Beer is a light pale lager that is fragrant and fresh.
- Also a Belgian Beer, this is a more fruity option with a malty aftertaste. A more complex beer with citrus notes.
Schnitzel and Frites- Parmesan Crusted Pork Loin, pan fried with a side of Apple slaw and fries
- The Typical Beer Hall dish that originated from Austria.
- Perfect accompaniment to the endless list of beers on offer. Crispy, herby and tender with a side of creamy and crunchy slaw to cut the richness. Also battered to a good thin/thickness.
1/2 KG Mussel Pot with Laksa (coconut cream, Lemongrass, Kaffir lime curry sauce)
- My go-to dish here! Arrives with a whiff of lemongrass with a creamy curry sauce. Fragrant and with a kick, YUM!
- Mussels were also cooked well, though I found a few (mussel) hairs.
- Fried could have been sliced thinner for ultimate crispiness.
- Bread was not really necessary and too thick.
This is a great option for weekend hang outs, especially for those who enjoy a pint of cold beer! Their selection of fruit beers is perfect for ladies or those who don’t particularly like beer (e.g. Pêcheresse). Mussels have always been consistently tasty and other options on the menu also are generally portions and of good standard.
Highly recommend you guys try it out!