Address: 3 Denman Street London W1D 7HA
Ramen craze has reached London! After being hugely popular in Hong Kong and Japan, Ramen has finally spread to London. Opening not just one but many Ramen shops, such as Tonkotsu, Ippudo and Bone Daddies, the debate on which serves the best Ramen is still yet to be decided.
Following the success and as one of the few Japanese supermarkets in Central London, Japan Centre has expanded its brand to include a chain of Ramen shops ‘Shoryu Ramen’. With 4 locations SoHo, Regent Street, Carnaby Street and Liverpool Street, and regularly sporting a line out the door, I decided that this was a must try! It’s also open 7 days a week, Bonus!
Step in and you are transported into Japan, filled with Japanese servers and a cute, modern dining space, in-keeping with the natural wood look of most Japanese eateries. We were sat quickly at a table and flipped through the menu with anticipation.
We were immediately drawn to the Shoryu Ganso Tonkotsu ramen and Curry Ramen.
- Tonkotsu Ramen: Pork bone or Tonkotsu broth was not too salty or thick, which I like, and full of flavour. You could tell they have put a lot of time into developing the flavour of the broth. The Cha Siu was also good, not too thickly sliced or fatty. The egg was just cooked with a gooey centre and paired perfectly with the creamy broth, crunchy toppings and warm Cha Siu.
- Curry Ramen: Broth had good curry flavour without being too salty and paired well with the fried chicken pieces. The egg was again just cooked, leaving a gooey centre. Definitely the dish for a cold winter’s day!
- Buns were soft and fluffy and not too thick, leaving just enough space for the filling.
- The slices of Wagyu was doused in sweet soy and grilled to deliciousness. The shiso definitely helped cut the fattiness of the beef and together with the cabbage added a freshness.
- The mushrooms also added texture and crunch, though was difficult to keep them in the bun while eating!
Shoryu Ramen can definitely match the success of Japan Centre, serving quality ramen that is both tasty and well presented. Located at convenient areas in London, it is also very accessible. Having tried Ramen from both Hong Kong and Japan, I can safely say that Shoryu definitely belongs up there with the ramen greats I’ve tried. Delicious, open 7 days a week and great service; what’s not to like!?