Address: Polpo Chelsea, 81 Duke of York Square, London SW3 4LY
Related: Ciao chow, Eat.it, Manzo
Polpo revolves around the concept of pairing Italian Wine bar with snack-y foods. It’s casual, industrial decor, is fit for a younger crowd and in-keeping with today’s trend of fast eating and good wine. Starting with just one restaurant on Beak Street and now spawned into multiple locations across London and Bristol, you are bound to be able to taste some of Polpo’s award-winning nibbles!
Polpo has always been one of my favorite places to catch up with friends, with great food, drinks and an ample selection of treats to pair with long conversations. Their menu has everything from Cicheti (Small bites), to wholesome meatballs and “healthier” mini pizzas. Fish and other meat dishes are also on the menu for those more carnivorous.
Polpo embodies ambiance, great food and trendiness, perfect for a typical London night-out.
Arancini – fried risotto balls with vegetables.
- Coated in polenta for extra crispiness, this is one of my favorite bites to pair with a glass of wine!
- Crispy on the outside, gooey and warm on the inside. NOM!
- Fresh fig with Parma Ham and cream cheese; tasty but nothing special.
Spicy Pork & Fennel Meatballs
- Another all-time favorite! Wholesome and meaty, with just enough fennel to give it that extra kick.
- Wasn’t that spicy though.
- Crunchy and almost too cute to eat, these are tastily marinated in a vinaigrette and served with artichoke hearts.
- Might be scary for some, but definitely tasty!
- The classic deep fried seafood plate.
- Generous mix of fried prawn, squid and vegetables, its light batter allows the seafood to shine at the same time ensuring crispiness.
- Another great snack for wine-pairings!
Rabbit, apple, celery & walnut salad
- A fresh, summery salad with a light dressing and crispy apples.
- Walnuts and apples are a classic paring with rabbit, which works well here too!
- Portion size was just enough to allow you to sample other tasty bites!
Spinach, Parmesan & soft egg Pizzetta
- Simple yet delicious, its thin crispy base is another one of my go-tos at Polpo.
- Creamy spinach and parmesan topping, with that semi-cooked egg to sauce the whole pizza, NOM! Just goes you that homely and fuzzy feeling when you eat it!