Address: Isetan Shinjuku, #160-0022 3-14-1, Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
Tempura has been one of my childhood favorites, which I would definitely categorize as comfort food. You can always tell if the ingredients used is not fresh (or from frozen), or when they over-batter, ruining the “NOM” experience. Hence, good and flavorful Tempura is not only hard to find, but even harder to cook.
Ginza Tenichi is a Tempura joint that has mounds of experience, while ever-changing their menu to fit seasonal ingredients and current trends. Founded in 1930, their Tempura is not only light and airy, but very fresh and juicy.
Simplistic design to their restaurant allows their food to shine, which will definitely leave you coming back for more!
Seasonal Tempura Lunch– Eel, Kiss fish, lotus root & scallop
- Good assortment of seasonal seafood.
- Eel and Kiss fish were by far the best and unusual.
- Lotus root and vegetables were also very fresh.
- The special “curry salt” was also a great pairing that brought out seafood flavors.
Sashimi & Tempura set (Bamboo)
- Great option for those who like a bit of variety aside from Tempura.
- Again light batter, where the Prawn and vegetables were just cooked. Vegetables still had that crunch and freshness.
Prawns Tempura bowl (Bamboo)
- A smaller portion than the sets, though just as tasty, this classic set is great for smaller eaters.
- Again light batter on the tempura, with fragrant Japanese rice on the bottom.
- What’s not to like?